Being in a car accident is a traumatic, stressful, and overwhelming experience. You most likely are in a lot of pain, have medical bills piling up, are unable to work to support your family, and your car can no longer get you to where you need or want to go.
You may need money to pay your medical expenses, repair your vehicle, and to provide food and other necessities for your family. This might make you want to hurry and settle your car accident case to get the money that you need as quickly as possible. We would caution against taking the first settlement offer, but the ultimate decision about how to proceed is up to you.
Why you should think twice about immediately settling a car accident claim
When you file a car accident claim, the insurance company will look over the details of your claim. Then, they will likely reach out to you to discuss your accident and find out what events took place that day. While you may think that the insurance agent is caring and understanding, they are actually trained to get you to say something that may be used against you, and to think that settling for a lower amount than you are owed is a good idea.
While the choice is ultimately yours to make, you should think about how much money you might possibly be giving up if you take the insurance company’s offer and settle – compensation that you may need later if you have long-term or permanent injuries, or cannot return to work. Remember, once you settle your claim you cannot go back for more.
If you are unsure about how much your case is worth, you should speak with a Columbus car accident attorney at your earliest convenience to find out. They will look over the facts of your case, conduct their own investigation, work with accountants and other professionals to calculate your losses, and go over the amount of compensation that you should expect to receive. At Soroka & Associates, we know and understand that settling a car accident claim quickly may seem like the best idea, but the truth is that insurance companies are known to cheat victims of car accidents out of the money they rightfully deserve.
Pros and cons of settling a car accident claim
- You can make sure that you will receive compensation. It may not be the full amount that you are owed, but you will still receive some type of compensation.
- You will receive your money more quickly.
- You will avoid additional court fees.
- You will not have to attend any court hearings.
- Your car accident claim award will remain private.
- You will most likely receive less money than you should.
- You may have other medical issues or long-term damages that you are unaware of, which means that you will take less money than you need for the future. This will require you to pay out-of-pocket for future expenses from the accident.
Is going to trial the better option for a Columbus car accident?
Many people choose to go through the settlement process and still end up going to a court about their car accident claim. The reason for this is because some insurance companies are simply unwilling to work with car accident victims to reach a fair settlement. Your only choice to obtain a fair amount of compensation for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and other losses may be to file a lawsuit.
Sometimes, the act of filing the lawsuit is enough to bring an insurance company back to the table for another round of settlement negotiations. Hiring a Columbus car accident lawyer may be the “push” they need to recognize you will not back down. This can lead to a better and more reasonable offer at any point in the process.
If it does not, then we can proceed to a jury trial.
Pros and cons of taking your car accident case to court
- Your car accident lawyer will protect your rights, advocate for you, and demand the compensation you need and deserve in court.
- You will have the opportunity to go over your experience with the jury and explain what happened to you during the accident.
- The outcome of the case is public, so a successful case can hold the negligent party(ies) accountable to the public, which may lead to everyone being safer.
- You may have to pay extra legal and court costs.
- There is a possibility that you could lose in court. However, your attorney will only ever suggest going to court if they believe that you have a strong case with potential to win.
- The court process can take a long time from start to finish.
What is the best option for my Columbus car accident case?
Most Columbus car accident cases settle before the case ever reaches the trial stage. This usually happens because it is typically in both individuals’ best interests to reach a settlement outside of court instead of going through the lengthy court trial process. However, if your case cannot be settled outside of court and you need to take your case to trial, don’t fear. Our attorneys have years of experience representing personal injury victims during trials. We will help you prepare for the case and walk you through the different stages. The only think you will have to focus on is your recovery; we take care of everything else, including all communications with the insurance companies and their lawyers. We also put together the presentation of evidence that speaks to your injuries, and we help you tell the truth of what happened to you before, during, and after the crash.
If you have recently suffered injuries in a wreck in Columbus, OH, contact a car accident lawyer from Soroka & Associates today. We are trial lawyers with the experience and knowledge needed to help you through the court process. However, our team also knows how to help our clients reach fair settlement. Before you decide to take any money that is offered to you by an insurance company, contact the car accident attorneys at Soroka & Associates first. We will schedule your initial meeting at no cost and provide you with the best possible advice regarding what legal route you should pursue. Call our office or submit our contact form today.